History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Form Room Block, at Haileybury and Imperial Service College 20 Metres West of Quad

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford Heath, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7786 / 51°46'42"N

Longitude: -0.0347 / 0°2'4"W

OS Eastings: 535677

OS Northings: 210708

OS Grid: TL356107

Mapcode National: GBR KBZ.J1F

Mapcode Global: VHGPP.CK0C

Entry Name: Form Room Block, at Haileybury and Imperial Service College 20 Metres West of Quad

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1078780

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355856

Location: Hertford Heath, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford Heath

Built-Up Area: Hertford Heath

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Amwell with St Margaret's

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 3510 (east side)

Hertford Heath
14/19 Form Room Block,
at Haileybury and Imperial
Service College 20 metres
24.1.67 west of Quad


School building. 1905-8 by John William Simpson (1858 - 1926)
and Ormerod Maxwell Aynton (1874 - 1960). Grey brick with stone
dressings and hipped slate roof. An E-shaped block on the axis
of the W front. 2 storeys with pedimented central feature
entirely in stone with arched octagonal cupola over. Projecting
wings 3-windows wide and 3-windows each side of 3-window centre.
Groin vaulted stone carriageway with vaulted side aisles on
square stone piers, leads to main entrance. Pilastered Tuscan
front with central arch and lower square headed doorways at sides
each with keystones and porch over. Relief inscription in frieze
of entablature at 1st floor level. Sash windows in moulded
surrounds over, between corner pilasters. Mutular cornice and
triangular pediment with scrolled cartouche withribbons and
swags. Recessed sash windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6
panes. Stone cornice continues round block with corner pilasters
and stone floorband and plinth. Entrances to form rooms within
vaulted aisles of passage and in courtyard between deeply
projecting rear wings. Subsidence led to removal of balconies in
courtyard before 1914. (Blunt (1966) 20, 28).

Listing NGR: TL3567710708

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.