This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7594 / 51°45'33"N
Longitude: -1.8308 / 1°49'50"W
OS Eastings: 411777
OS Northings: 206756
OS Grid: SP117067
Mapcode National: GBR 3QJ.RXX
Mapcode Global: VHB2M.710L
Entry Name: The Pigeon House
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127364
Location: Bibury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Bibury
Built-Up Area: Arlington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bibury with Winson
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BIBURY PACKHORSE LANE
11/116 The Pigeon House
Detached house. Early C16; later C18 and C20 alterations. Random
and coursed rubble limestone; ashlar chimney; stone slate roof.
Cross passage plan; 2-storey. East front: 3 half gables to right
part of elevation, each with timber casement; right gable is late
C20 addition. Fenestration otherwise scattered including 2 and 3-
light recessed chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds.
Central doorway with C20 glazed door and flat stone porch hood on
shaped brackets. Central ridge-mounted chimney has restored
octagonal shaft with lancet openings and original crocketed spire
top. C20 single-storey addition to left is not of special
interest. Rear: 1 half gable with 2-light mullioned casement, 2-
light below. Fenestration otherwise timber casements with timber
Interior: large central chimney stack has C16 upper floor
fireplace with projecting stone hood on shaped brackets. Single
arched braced collar truss in roof, curved feet of rafters
projecting below later inserted ceiling. Stands on ancient
packhorse route and is one of the earliest buildings in Bibury with
several original features. Dovecote (q.v.) stands to north.
(Illustrated in J.A. Gibbs, A Cotswold Villager 1898. A.R.J.
Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, p 21-44; and D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979
Listing NGR: SP1181206695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings