This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5582 / 51°33'29"N
Longitude: -0.2491 / 0°14'56"W
OS Eastings: 521475
OS Northings: 185826
OS Grid: TQ214858
Mapcode National: GBR 9H.FVZ
Mapcode Global: VHGQQ.M3N8
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 26 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078883
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198773
Location: Brent, London, NW10
Electoral Ward/Division: Dudden Hill
Built-Up Area: Brent
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Catherine Neasden
Church of England Diocese: London
5006 NEASDEN LANE
TQ 2185 9/1 26.7.51
Said to date from circa 1700, it originally formed part of outbuildings to
an adjoining farm called The Grove but was converted for residential occupation
in the first decade of the 19th century.
The building is L-shaped in plan and originally lay north-south along Neasden
Lane at its junction with Dudden Hill Lane. Today, the building is isolated
on a traffic island at the head of the Neasden Underpass.
It is built of pale plum-coloured brick, now sand colour washed. (A watercolour
in the Museum of London dated 1818 shows it whitewashed). The thickness of
the walls of the original building is considerable (about 2 feet) and the
structure of the red-clay tiled roof is interesting. Although it appears
to be an ordinary hipped roof with a flat at the top it consists in reality
of 2 ridges with a central valley and this is clearly visible in the ceilings
of the upper floor. All windows have Gothick glazing. It has a roughly symmetrical
front with a later central 2 storey gabled porch projection. The doorway
has a Gothick fanlight to match the window glazing.
The property was substantially renovated and restored and the inside almost
totally altered in 1974-75 when the property was converted to form the Local
History Museum for the London Borough of Brent. A fire-escape staircase giving
access directly from the first floor to the garden was installed along the
south-west end of the main range at this time.
The inside of the house is much altered, but there remains a heavy ceiling
beam in one of the bedrooms in the wing.
See also RCHM.
Listing NGR: TQ2147585826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings