This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6388 / 51°38'19"N
Longitude: -0.0878 / 0°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 532423
OS Northings: 195060
OS Grid: TQ324950
Mapcode National: GBR H6.DJG
Mapcode Global: VHGQF.F2GK
Entry Name: Clarendon Arch and Tunnel
Listing Date: 31 January 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200558
Location: Enfield, London, N21
Electoral Ward/Division: Grange
Built-Up Area: Enfield
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Peter Grange Park
Church of England Diocese: London
4411 BUSH HILL N21
TQ 3295 8/53
Bears inscription. "This arch was rebuilt in the year 1682. Honerable Henry
Earle of Clarendon Being Gov." Long tunnel over canal, barrel vaulted brick,
mostly pinky-yellow stock brick, probably early Cl9. The arch ring at one end
is of Portland stone, inscribed as above with a fine shield of arms with mantling
helm and crest of Myddelton. Capping over plain parapet. Historical interest.
The tunnel carries the Salmons Brook beneath the New River. Above tunnel on north-
west side a stone with inscription: "This bank of earth was raised and formed
to support the Channel of the New River. And the frame of timber and lead which
served that purpose 173 years was removed and taken away. MDCCLXXXVI Peter Holford
Esquire, Governor." These are part of the works of the New River, founded in
1613 by Sir Hugh Myddelton in order to bring a purer water supply to London.
Listing NGR: TQ3242395060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings