This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4804 / 51°28'49"N
Longitude: 0.0047 / 0°0'17"E
OS Eastings: 539308
OS Northings: 177620
OS Grid: TQ393776
Mapcode National: GBR L1.KVP
Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.11CY
Entry Name: Vanbrugh Castle
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200455
Location: Greenwich, London, SE10
Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath Westcombe
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: East Greenwich Christ Church, St Andrew and St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
4412 MAZE HILL SE3
TQ 597T 27/G89 19.1O.51.
(RAF Boys' School)
1717 with later additions. Built by Sir John Vanbrugh for his own residence.
Mainly of stock brick, later additions in plum coloured brick. The original
building of 3 storeys and basement with 3 4-storey towers, the central one round,
projecting from main west front. Arched corbel table below parapets of walls
and towers. Angle towers battlemented. Conical copper roof to middle tower.
Stout band at 2nd floor cills. Basement plinth. Gauged, round brick arches
and impost blocks to sash windows with glazing bars and Y-bars in heads. Impost
bands. from round tower windows. All upper tower windows square headed and blocked.
Front round tower windows blocked on ground and lst floor. Recessed, 1-bay sections
flanking it. Later square wood Doric porch, with wrought iron handrail to steps,
in right tower angle. On North front 2 bays of original building on right and
2-storey, 2-window left extension, with tall, battered central chimney stack.
Rear elevation has central round tower in projecting section. Flanking round
chimneys in rows. 1-bay side wings of 2 storeys and basement. Projecting bowed
late C18 right wing has Venetian window in 1-storey end. Later C18 3-storey,
3-bay East addition. Projecting centre bay has central window and narrow flanking
window on each floor, those on 1st and ground floor round headed, giving Venetian
effect. Impost bands across centre bay, with gauged brick arches of side windows
breaking tlem. Some original glazing, some restored. At South end projecting
chimney tower bifurcates to flank 2 round arches. Modern, 2-storey 6-window
south wing, built in similar style, projects westward, and another 4-window classroom
extension added to this.
Interior has few features of interest. 2 stone fireplaces in mediaeval style
remain, one with late C17 Dutch tiles. Passages are very narrow, with interrupted
segmental vaults. Plain stone newel staircase, some treads renewed.
All doors round arched. Partly barrel-vaulted brick cellar. LCC blue plaque
"Sir John Vanbrugh Architect and Dramatist designed this house and lived here
Listing NGR: TQ3930877620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings