This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4796 / 51°28'46"N
Longitude: 0.0163 / 0°0'58"E
OS Eastings: 540112
OS Northings: 177556
OS Grid: TQ401775
Mapcode National: GBR LW.GSS
Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.72GK
Entry Name: The Woodlands
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078946
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200459
Location: Greenwich, London, SE3
Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath Westcombe
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: East Greenwich Christ Church, St Andrew and St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
4412 MYCENAE ROAD SE3
No 90 (The Woodlands)
TQ 4077 28/G92 19.10.51.
Formerly Convent of Little Sisters of the Assumption.
Now Kidbrooke House Community Centre.
1772. 2 storeys and dormers. 5 windows. Renaissance style in stone. Green
slate roof. Frieze with festoons beneath moulded cornice band with blocking
course above. Recessed windows in rebated reveals. Entrance porch with plain
Ionic columns, coupled each side, and entablature and blocking course. Ground
floor bay window adjoins entrance. 1 storey. 2 window extension on north side.
On south side a 1 storey 3 window pedimented projection with 4 half-columns with
"Tower of the Hinds" caps, segmental niche on ground floor each side with shallow
sinking on 1st floor above each and on axis at 1st floor a round-headed window.
Rear elevation has twin shallow bow windows on ground floor with round- headed
niche between, and sculptured round panel above. The house was built for J J
Angerstein, whose collection of pictures formed the nucleus for the National
Gallery. It was occupied for a time by Caroline, Princess of Wales.
Listing NGR: TQ4011277556
Other nearby listed buildings