This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4919 / 51°29'30"N
Longitude: 0.07 / 0°4'12"E
OS Eastings: 543803
OS Northings: 179022
OS Grid: TQ438790
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.QBP
Mapcode Global: VHHNK.5RCQ
Entry Name: Royal Arsenal Verbruggens House
Listing Date: 8 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200490
Location: Greenwich, London, SE18
Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Riverside
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene with St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18
786/9/48 Royal Arsenal
House, later office. 1772-73, for Jan Verbruggen, Master Founder and his son Pieter, built by James Morris. Red Flemish bond brick with a slate mansard roof. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys, cellar and attic; 4-window range. Entrance in the S end has a coped, truncated gable, ground-floor arcade of round arches linked by impost band, and a modillion cornice; rubbed brick flat arches to 6/6-pane sashes, a half-glazed door, and 3 attic windows, the middle one blind. Matching parapetted 4-bay left-hand return has 4 flat-headed 3/3-pane dormers, and window-less right-hand return. INTERIOR: without plaster and most fittings at time of inspection (March 1994), has a full-width entrance room with fixings for panelling set in the walls, a rear right-hand open dogleg stair with column-on-vase balusters, columns newel and ramped rail; rear ground-floor plain stone mantle piece with a late C19 cast-iron fireplace.
HISTORY: Verbruggen was Master Founder from 1770, and responsible for the reorganisation and extension of the nearby Royal Brass Foundry 1771. Later used to house the Ordnance Committee and Ordnance Board.
(de Beer, Professor Carel, The Art of Gunfounding, Rotherfiela, 1991; Wesley H, The Royal [email protected] A brief history, Lodon, 1987, p.9; Hogg O F G, The Royal Arsenal, Oxford, 1963, p.432)
Listing NGR: TQ4295478475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings