This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4907 / 51°29'26"N
Longitude: 0.0028 / 0°0'10"E
OS Eastings: 539141
OS Northings: 178761
OS Grid: TQ391787
Mapcode National: GBR L0.Z7W
Mapcode Global: VHHNJ.0SBM
Entry Name: Enderby House
Listing Date: 8 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200260
Location: Greenwich, London, SE10
Electoral Ward/Division: Peninsula
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: East Greenwich Christ Church, St Andrew and St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/11/2016
TELEGRAPH AVENUE SE 10,
(Formerly listed as: CHRISTCHURCH WAY SE10 Enderby House)
Early-mid C19 building of 2 storeys 2 windows and with wide projecting bay placed
diagonally across left corner, Modern rendering with incised lines. Stone cornice
and blocking course. Sash windows, some with vertical bars. Nondescript external
appearance but contains a handsome octagonal first floor room (giving onto the
diagonal bay, from whence the ship owner saw his vessels approach). At angles
narrow columns, with leafy capitals, support enriched entablature. Above this
a domed roof light with cast iron tracery. Oval landing outside has doors curved
to wall shape.
Enderby House belonged to the firm of Samuel Enderby, the largest whalers and
sealers in Britain, and pioneers of Antarctic exploration. Hermann Melville
describes their flagship and crew in "Moby Dick". The decline of British whaling led to the Enderbys ceasing to have an interest in Enderby’s Wharf in 1854. It was then taken on by Glass, Elliott and Company, a contractor for the first transatlantic telegraph cable (lost while being laid in 1857) then the second in 1858 which operated for a few weeks. The business was reconstituted in 1864 as the Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Company, who manufactured cable at Enderby’s Wharf to an improved design for another attempt in 1865, and a fourth in 1866, both times with the Great Eastern as the cable-laying ship, and by the end of 1866 had achieved the first successfully working transatlantic telecommunications cable connection.
The building is listed partly for its important associations with the history of industry and technology, especially the laying of the first transatlantic cable.
Listing NGR: TQ3914178761
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings