This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.475 / 51°28'30"N
Longitude: -0.0032 / 0°0'11"W
OS Eastings: 538774
OS Northings: 177006
OS Grid: TQ387770
Mapcode National: GBR L1.XHL
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.W6P3
Entry Name: Macartney House
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079069
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200258
Location: Greenwich, London, SE10
Electoral Ward/Division: Greenwich West
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
4412 CHESTERFIELD WALK SE10
TQ 3877 26/G22 19.10.51.
TQ 3876 37/G22
House built in 1694 with many additions in mid C18, early C19 and later. Irregular
plan. 2 and a half storeys (the half is a mezzanine) 6 windows on main West
front. Multicoloured stock brick with red brick dressings and stone coped parapet.
Ground floor and mezzanine blank except for small modern windows inserted on
each floor; sunk panels elsewhere. On 2nd floor recessed sash windows with glazing
bars. Renewed door and fanlight in wood doorcase of sunk panel pilasters and
5-window South return has mezzanine panels in 2 left bays with 2 long casements
and a round-headed door beneath. The 3 right bays have 2 tall storeys with very
high, round arched windows. Heavy cornice at 1st floor cills continues around
to lower, 2-storey, 5-bay South wing with fenestration much altered. Early Cl9
link to later C19 North wing with fenestration much altered. On Park elevation
the different periods show more clearly on the left a section of circa lpo with
an early C19 round bow added in the middle. Then an early C19 link to the original
house of 1694 and finally the North wing of circa 1855 with an early C18 wall
in its lower floor. Tile house belonged to the Wolfe family, parents to the victor
of Quebec. In 1802 it passed to the Hon George Lyttleton, later Lord Lyttleton,
who caused alterations to be made by Sir John Soane, not readily visible from
outside, and not much remaining inside. It has now been turned into flats.
LCC blue plaque commemorates the residence here of General Wolfe 1751-58.
Listing NGR: TQ3877477006
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings