This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4913 / 51°29'28"N
Longitude: 0.0696 / 0°4'10"E
OS Eastings: 543779
OS Northings: 178963
OS Grid: TQ437789
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.Q7K
Mapcode Global: VHHNK.5S53
Entry Name: Main Entrance to Royal Arsenal
Listing Date: 8 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200206
Location: Greenwich, London, SE18
Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Riverside
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene with St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
4412 BERESFORD SQUARE SE18
Main entrance to
TQ 4378 9/W44
TQ 4378 20/W44
(Royal Arsenal is listed under Plumstead Road).
Dated 1829 but upper parts late C19. 2 storey, 3 windows, with blank side abutments.
3 carriage entrances on ground floor, the centre one taller. Yellow brick ground
floor has stone arches with keystones supporting stone 1st floor band of taller
centre section. This becomes cill band of side sections. Red brick upper part,
with stone dressings. Buttresses full height of centre section, 1/3rd height
of side sections. Parapet resting on stone and brick corbel table. Clock in
centre. Central 3-light and side 2-light mullioned and transomed windows with
sashes below transom and margin lights to heads. Plaques, inserted in buttresses,
inscribed "1829 B;" and below side windows inscribed "G.R. IV" and bearing shield
with 3 guns. On parapets of side abutments are mounted mortars with the Royal
Cipher of George IV.
Listing NGR: TQ4377978963
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings