This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.581 / 51°34'51"N
Longitude: -0.1219 / 0°7'18"W
OS Eastings: 530228
OS Northings: 188571
OS Grid: TQ302885
Mapcode National: GBR FN.3XW
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.TJXD
Entry Name: The Queens Public House
Listing Date: 23 November 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201501
Location: Haringey, London, N8
Electoral Ward/Division: Crouch End
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Innocents Hornsey
Church of England Diocese: London
800/33/257 BROADWAY PARADE
23-NOV-1973 CROUCH END
The Queen's Public House
Includes: The Queen's Public House, No.26 Tottenham Lane N8, CROUCH END
Also Known As: THE QUEEN'S PUBLIC HOUSE, ELDER AVENUE, CROUCH END
Pub, formerly hotel. 1899-1901 by John Cathles Hill (1858-1915), builder and developer. 3 storeys and attic; 3 bay front to Broadway Parade with lesser bay at south end, rounded angle to 2 bays and lower end bay on Elder Avenue. Red brick with extensive pale yellow limestone dressings; black granite to ground floor pilasters and base; lead-sheathed roof to angle turret; slate mansard roof with dormers. EXTERIOR: circular entrance lobby with mosaic floor with QH monogram, wrought iron screen above inscribed with THE QUEENS. Tripartite front to Broadway Parade with central gable, triple arcade to ground floor containing arched windows with heavy mullions and pedimented aedicular frames within, with Art Nouveau stained glass to lower lights. Dado and below faced in granite, with diaper pattern panels. Southern entrance via entrance flanked by Corinthian columns with aedicule, set below wrought iron screen with pub name, and above a mosaic floor with the name repeated again. Entrance to upper floors at south end with 9-panel door with overlight, set within stone hood; open swan's neck pediment above. Main front articulated with Corinthian pilasters, with shafts of granite supporting entablature with painted frieze; pedimented caps to projecting piers. Upper floors faced in banded brickwork. Aedicular surrounds to 1st floor windows with mullions (treated as square columns) and transoms (treated as a continuation of a projecting string course); windows arranged 2-3-3 along main front with arched windows to central bay. Second floor windows with square column mullions support continuous frieze to both elevations. Gabled bay to attic over central bay with banded stonework, triple window, segmental pediment termination. Corner drum with six-light windows to each floor (seven to attic), with cornice of cut brick beneath decorative lead roof. Return to Elder Avenue is stepped up towards corner with a chimneystack beside the corner drum. Arcaded ground floor with decorative screen. Former entrance to upper floors to east (now blocked), beneath pediment with name of hotel. INTERIOR: survives largely intact. Central bar with four separate areas divided by ornate wooden glazed partitions with etched decoration to doors, and Art Nouveau stained glass to upper sections of screens; pierced parapets above. Bar counter with panelled front to all sides, Ionic terms flank counter facing saloon bar, which has a snuggery and wooden fireplace with tiled surround and mirrored overmantel within inglenook. Wooden chimneypiece along east wall with tiled surround and mirrored overmantel. Coffered ceiling with relief decoration of arabesques and mermaids. Cast iron Corinthian columns to centre. Upper floors not inspected.
HISTORY: John Cathles Hill (1858-1915) was a builder-developer, responsible for building much of Crouch End. Many of the fittings of the pub were manufactured in his workshops. The notable Art Nouveau glass was supplied by Cakebread, Robey. Along with its sister pub by Hill, the Salisbury in Green Lanes, the Queen's Hotel represents the pinnacle of late Victorian pub design and is a remarkable survival, with exceptional joinery and glass.
[Mark Girouard, 'Victorian Pubs' (1975), 124-126].
Listing NGR: TQ3022588565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings