History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church of St James at Bowes

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodside, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6064 / 51°36'22"N

Longitude: -0.1108 / 0°6'38"W

OS Eastings: 530926

OS Northings: 191417

OS Grid: TQ309914

Mapcode National: GBR GF.DRC

Mapcode Global: VHGQF.1W9F

Entry Name: United Reformed Church of St James at Bowes

Listing Date: 10 May 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1079212

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201408

Location: Haringey, London, N22

County: London

District: Haringey

Electoral Ward/Division: Woodside

Built-Up Area: Haringey

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Cuthbert Chitts Hill

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Wood Green

Listing Text


1.
4415 HIGH ROAD N22
(East Side)
Wood Green
---------------
United reformed Church of
St James-at-Bowes
TQ 3091 4/132

II

2.
1901-9 in a restrained Art Nouveau style. Red brick with pale terracotta dressings,
slated roofs. Nave, aisles, west porch and vestry, east link to hall building,
all adjoining behind. Walls divided by flat buttresses supporting brick cornice
with dentils. Banded brickwork in gable end and brick quoins to porch. 3 light
windows with Tudor heads. Main north window has Perp-type tracery. Set back
entrances under hollow-chamfered Tudor arches. Projecting oriel on 1st floor
of hall section. Inside Church a 4 bar nave and wide 1 bay chancel with choir
stalls and communion table. Square piers of terracotta tiles. Gallery at west
end on similar piers. Arch-braced queen-post roof, with braces resting on ceramic
corbels. Original seating and woodwork. Splendid hexagonal pulpit with symbols
of Evangelists strongly carved in panels.


Listing NGR: TQ3092691417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.