History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Tithe Barn, Waddon

A Grade II Listed Building in Waddon, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3636 / 51°21'48"N

Longitude: -0.1187 / 0°7'7"W

OS Eastings: 531069

OS Northings: 164404

OS Grid: TQ310644

Mapcode National: GBR G2.YKB

Mapcode Global: VHGRK.WZLK

Entry Name: Old Tithe Barn, Waddon

Listing Date: 11 June 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1079247

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201298

Location: Croydon, London, CR0

County: London

District: Croydon

Electoral Ward/Division: Waddon

Built-Up Area: Croydon

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Croydon

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Croydon

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

TQ 36 SW PURLEY WAY
5/52 NO 520
OLD TITHE BARN, WADDON
II

Former barn, now offices. C18, shown on the map of Waddon Court of
1799. Unusual structure of 2 parallel ranges with M shaped roof, timber
framed, clad in light brickwork with very steeply pitched tiled roof
with wooden louvres at the end of each range. West side has hipped
midstray with double doors and 3 C20 windows and some C18 brickwork in
English band.North side has C19 and C20 brickwork in Flemish bond, East
side has C20 brickwork in Flemish bond and the south side has 2 diagonal
brick buttresses and mainly C19 and C20 brickwork. Aisled barn of 7
bays with no aisle posts in the centre. Upright post are unjowled with
diagonal braces. Aisle parts are on brick padstones. Butt purlin
roof, with 2 tiers to tiles and struts for the posts to the lower
purline. This barn may have been built to replace the old Orrydan tithe
barn when the latter was turned into 24 cottages. In the late C18 it
formed part of Waddon Court and later part of Coldharbour farm.


Listing NGR: TQ3106964404

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.