This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3834 / 51°23'0"N
Longitude: -0.0931 / 0°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 532797
OS Northings: 166652
OS Grid: TQ327666
Mapcode National: GBR GW.R6S
Mapcode Global: VHGRL.BHNB
Entry Name: 226-228, Sydenham Road
Listing Date: 15 February 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079274
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201258
Location: Croydon, London, CR0
Electoral Ward/Division: Selhurst
Built-Up Area: Croydon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Croydon St Michael and All Angels with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
In the entry for:
5009 SYDENHAM ROAD
TQ 36 NW 2/26 Nos. 226-8
the description shall be amended to read as follows:
Semi-detached houses, c.1881. The design attributed to Norman Shaw, but is more likely to have
been developed by his pupil Ernest Newton. Built by the contractor W H Lascelles of concrete
slabs dyed red on a system he patented in 1875. Tiled roofs and concrete stacks. Each house of-two
storeys and two casement windows, those to outside in gabled projections with jettied upper
storeys and bargeboards. The upper storey, above strong cornice, has raised concrete strips
resembling terracotta between roughcast panels, and decorative gables. Interiors with concrete and
iron joists, with moulded floral ceiling panels to dining room and good joinery throughout.
This pair of houses is important for its technological interest, but is of architectural quality also.
Ernest Newton, 'Sketches for Country Residences', 1882
Andrew Saint, 'Richard Norman Shaw', 1976, pp.165-70
5009 SYDENHAM ROAD
TQ 36 NW 2/26
Circa 1881. Attributed to Norman Shaw, but perhaps mainly by his pupil Ernest Newton.
Built by the contractor W H Lascelles of concrete slabs dyed red on a system he patented
in 1875, following the early use of concrete in the 1860s (and earlier in France).
Semi-detached pair, each of 2 storeys and 2 casement windows, the outer ones in gabled
projections with jettied upper storeys and ornamental bargeboards. The upper storey,
above strong cornice is parallel to imitate panelling. Tiled roof. Over the through
sitting room are concrete and iron joists and dining room has moulded floral ceiling
panels. Godd joinery. Mainly listed for the technological interest. Nos 237-9
are also Shaw-Lascelles concrete houses but of less interest. (A Saint, Richard
Listing NGR: TQ3279766652
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings