History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Bernard's Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Norwood Green, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5062 / 51°30'22"N

Longitude: -0.3498 / 0°20'59"W

OS Eastings: 514628

OS Northings: 179877

OS Grid: TQ146798

Mapcode National: GBR 67.SL8

Mapcode Global: VHFTD.WDGP

Entry Name: St Bernard's Hospital

Listing Date: 25 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1079364

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201101

Location: Ealing, London, UB2

County: London

District: Ealing

Electoral Ward/Division: Norwood Green

Built-Up Area: Ealing

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Emmanuel Southall

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Southall

Listing Text

UXBRIDGE ROAD
1.
5010
HANWELL
TQ 18 SW 1/1
TQ 17 NW 4/1 St Bernard's Hospital
II
2.
Lunatic Asylum. 1829 by William Alderson. Additions and alterations of 1854 and 1857,
the latter by John Harris,and further later C19 alterations.Yellow brick. Low slate
roof to parapet. Basic 'U' shaped plan with octagonal pavilions to centre and ends,and
wings extending to east and west from outer octagons. Northern ballroom extension from
central octagon of 1854. South extension from central octagon of 1857 for kitchens,
dining facilities, etc. Late C19 blocks attached as appendages to central and outer
courtyards,of no interest. 2 storeys, attic and basement. Round headed windows to
ground and first floors in round headed gauged brick reveals, mostly retaining original
iron glazing bars with circular rotating opening lights. Stone band between ground and
first floor and thicker stone band above first floor. Attic storey of 1857 with square
headed architraved windows,many retaining original cast iron glazing bars with sliding
opening lights. Stone cornice and parapet to attic. Octagons crowned with arcaded
drums. Of historic interest for its innovations in psychiatric care, including a form
of occupational therapy and the large scale abolition of mechanical restraints, under
Superintendants Sir William Ellis and Dr John Conolly. Those parts of the hospital
dating from after the 1850s are not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TQ1462879877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.