This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.632 / 51°37'55"N
Longitude: -0.1282 / 0°7'41"W
OS Eastings: 529649
OS Northings: 194239
OS Grid: TQ296942
Mapcode National: GBR FJ.VRG
Mapcode Global: VHGQD.Q7MQ
Entry Name: Numbers 1 to 8 Including Eight Lamp Posts to East and West
Listing Date: 11 March 1985
Last Amended: 27 July 2009
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079481
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200806
Location: Enfield, London, N14
Electoral Ward/Division: Southgate
Built-Up Area: Enfield
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew Chase Side
Church of England Diocese: London
790/22/100 STATION PARADE
(including eight lamp posts to east an
(Formerly listed as:
(Formerly listed as:
PARADE OF SHOPS: The parade of shops were designed and built in 1932-33 to the designs of Charles Holden of Adams, Holden and Pearson for the London Passenger Transport Board. They are of red brick, with roofs concealed behind high parapets. Steel-framed windows to first floor; bronzed shopfronts to the ground floor. Segmental shaped parade of ten units, with a cut-through dividing six shops from the remaining four. Curved ends with full-height glazing and clerestoreys set slightly behind very narrow fascia bands. To the first floor a strip of glazing with a strongly horizontal pattern of steel glazing bars. The central shops set back behind circular, entirely unmoulded columns clad in mosaic tiling, with blind red brick walling above dominated by a large clock placed in the centre of the curve. The shopfronts are fully glazed above low mosaic-clad plinths, with a narrow fascia band and clerestory above, save at the northern end, where there is one bay of brickwork and security doors, where a waiting room used to be, before the more pronounced of the two curved ends begins - this was originally also part of the waiting room. Rooflights in the concrete roof slab behind the columns are an integral part of the design, as is the lettering 'STATION PARADE' in the blind walling above. Rear elevation similar. Above the cut-through, and stretching between two first-floor windows, there is the stone background to a former bullseye sign, missing at time of inspection in 2008.
LAMP POSTS: Eight lamp posts to the east and west of Station Parade. They follow the curved road between the station and the shops. These were erected in 1933 to the designs of Charles Holden of Adams, Holden and Pearson for the London Passenger Transport Board. They comprise tapered polygonal concrete posts surmounted by narrow bronze fixing supporting a glass globe.
HISTORY: Southgate Underground Station was approved in 1930 and opened in 1933 on the northern extension of the Piccadilly Line. This seven mile extension beyond the original terminus of Finsbury Park required a parliamentary act and was to serve the enlarging suburban areas in north and west Middlesex. The first section of the line, from Finsbury Park to Arnos Grove, which included the stations at Manor House, Turnpike Lane, Wood Green and Bounds Green, was opened on 19 September 1932. Southgate and Enfield West (now Oakwood) followed in March 1933 and the terminus at Cockfosters opened on 31 July 1933. The London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) was created on 1 July 1933. This group of stations was commissioned by Frank Pick (1878-1941) and designed by architect Charles Holden (1875-1960), who together created an architecturally distinguished group of buildings. Pick worked for London underground railways from 1906-1940, throughout his career striving to promote high-quality, well-detailed design that he believed was essential for serving the public. Holden was an accomplished Arts and Crafts architect in the Edwardian period who uniquely made the move to modernism, following a 1930 study tour (with Pick) of continental railway stations and modern architecture. Together they firmly promoted functionalist modernism for the new station designs, taking advantage of newly available materials, and adopting the continental and American idea of a primary concourse as circulation space, with the ticket hall as the dominant element of the new buildings.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The parade of shops and eight lampposts at Southgate underground station are listed for the following principal reasons:
* They are contemporary and key components of the group of transport buildings connected with Southgate Underground Station, which is listed Grade II*;
* The stations of the Piccadilly Line extension to Cockfosters were all sited at important bus interchanges, but only here and at Turnpike Lane was a whole parade of shops and series of bus stops built as intended, and only at Southgate do they have special interest;
* They are good examples of the attention to every detail demanded by Frank Pick of his designers.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings