History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clarendon Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Town, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6543 / 51°39'15"N

Longitude: -0.0864 / 0°5'11"W

OS Eastings: 532472

OS Northings: 196791

OS Grid: TQ324967

Mapcode National: GBR H5.DWH

Mapcode Global: VHGQ7.GP55

Entry Name: Clarendon Cottage

Listing Date: 19 March 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1079527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 200642

Location: Enfield, London, EN2

County: London

District: Enfield

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Enfield

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Andrew Enfield

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Enfield

Listing Text

In the entry for:

1.
4411 GENTLEMAN'S ROW
(East side)
TQ 3296 7/163 19.3.51 No 17 (Clarendon
Cottage)
II* GV

the description shall be amended to read as follows:

C16 timber-framed hall house of two bays at core, with C17 extension at north end. Now
two storeys and four-window range. Early C18 extension at rear, two storeys, with panelled
rooms. Central and north bay re-fronted in brick probably during the late C17, with
stuccoed parapet front. Red pantiled roof has large central stack with diagonal shafts. C18
sash windows, those on ground floor with external shutters. Door of six fielded panels, top
glazed, in raised stucco surround with Gothic raised border and breakfront cornice. Two-
storey extension to left with similar door in plain doorcase. Wood plaque at first floor:
"Charles and Mary Lamb lived here in 1825 and 1827".

------------------------------------

1.
4411 GENTLEMAN'S ROW
(East Side)
No 17
TQ 3296 7/163 19.3.51. (Clarendon Cottage)

II* GV

2.
C17 cottage of 2 storeys, 4 windows. Red pantiled roof has large central chimney
with diagonal shafts. Parapet front, now stuccoed. C18 sash windows with glazing
bars, those on ground floor with external shutters. Door of 6 fielded panels,
top glazed, in raised stucco surround with gothic raised border and breakfront
cornice. 2-storey left extension with similar door in plain doorcase. Wood plaque
at lst floor: "Charles and Mary Lamb lived here in 1825 and 1827".

Nos 1 to 33 (odd), with all mentioned walls and railings and The Coach House form
a group.


Listing NGR: TQ3247296791

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.