This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4751 / 51°28'30"N
Longitude: -0.221 / 0°13'15"W
OS Eastings: 523650
OS Northings: 176621
OS Grid: TQ236766
Mapcode National: GBR BH.WG8
Mapcode Global: VHGR4.4612
Entry Name: Grandstand and Turnstiles to Fulham Football Club
Listing Date: 24 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201946
Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, SW6
District: Hammersmith and Fulham
Electoral Ward/Division: Palace Riverside
Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Etheldreda with St Clement Fulham
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2376 Stevenage Road
9/45 Grandstand and turnstiles
to Fulham Football Club
Football club grandstand with turnstiles. Built in 1905 to the design of Archibald Leitch.
MATERIALS: Red brick façade with stone dressings; steel trussed roof (not visible from street)covered in corrugated iron.
PLAN: Long frontage to Stevenage Road with covered stand behind. 3 storey street frontage of 27 bays with single-storey attached turnstile blocks to the left and right of 9 and 8 bays respectively.
DESCRIPTION: Almost symmetrical composition with shaped gables to centre 3 bays and to bays 5 and 6 from either side. Arched windows to ground floor and paired exit doors beneath segmental arches; narrow square headed entrances at intervals. Square-headed mullioned windows in triplets to first floor with blind panels between bearing strapwork cartouches. Segmental-headed windows to third storey lighting stand to rear. Behind is a 2-tier stand with a pitched corrugated-iron roof carried on triangular steel trusses with curved lower chords. The front of the roof is cantilevered forward by means of a lateral lattice girder carrying an awning, supported on a series of lattice stanchions. The roof has a central triangular pediment. Upper tier of stand has original wooden seating; modern seating to lower tier. Tunnels lead to former changing rooms beneath.
HISTORY: Fulham FC was founded in 1879 and moved to its present site in 1896. Its popular name: 'Craven Cottage' alludes to an C18 cottage orné which once stood on the site.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as a well-preserved early surviving example of a football grandstand by Archibald Leitch (1866-1939), the foremost football stadium designer of the early C20. The façade is unusual in that it was a conscious attempt to give ornate treatment to a building type which was usually austere and functional.
SOURCES: English Heritage: Fulham Football Club, Historians' report, 1987; Simon Inglis: Football Grounds of Britain, 1996; Simon Inglis: Engineering Archie, 2005
Listing NGR: TQ2365076621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings