This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4935 / 51°29'36"N
Longitude: -0.2207 / 0°13'14"W
OS Eastings: 523621
OS Northings: 178677
OS Grid: TQ236786
Mapcode National: GBR BG.P19
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.4Q6F
Entry Name: 188, Hammersmith Road
Listing Date: 14 November 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201963
Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, W6
District: Hammersmith and Fulham
Electoral Ward/Division: Hammersmith Broadway
Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Paul Hammersmith
Church of England Diocese: London
The following building shall be added:-
TQ 2378 Hammersmith Road
6/658 No 188
House, now club. Circa 1820, altered C1850-60. Gault brick, slate roof,
behind parapet, painted stone dressings.
Two storeys, attics and basements. 3 bays with lower 2 storey single bays
added to each side. To rear, pair of 2 storey elliptical bays, partly
obscured by ground floor extensions but surviving intact structurally.
Front elevation. Central 3 bay section breaking forward slightly from
shallow reveals. Upper storey central recessed semi-circular arch,
containing central window. Margin glazed sashes, with bracketed sills and
iron balustrades of C1850-60. Similar windows to right extension. Central
paired 2-panelled doors beneath plain mid C19 pointed arched fanlight.
Porch of C1850-60. Paired columns with robust sub-classical mouldings, and
matching engaged half piers to rear, support flat canopy with ornate iron
balustrade above. To left and right entrance with similarly detailed
surrounds, that to left altered. Moulded dented cornice and parapet
probably mid C19.
Internal gable stacks to original end walls. Rear upper floor sashes with
glazing bars. Attic dormers altered.
Interior. Slender stair with stick balusters moulded mahogany rail turned
newels, one iron baluster moulded at the newels.
Reeded architraves, those to ground floor with mask at angles. Ground
floor doors boarded over. At ground floor rear windows removed but
parallel shuttering and casing remains intact. Similar shutters to front
window. Upper floor windows intact, in panelled reveals and boxes.
Moulded cornices of C1820 with some 1850-60 additions. Upper floor marble
fireplace. With original grate and detailing Said to have been the
premises of the constitutional club for C100 years.
Listing NGR: TQ2362178677
Other nearby listed buildings