History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High House Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upminster, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5425 / 51°32'33"N

Longitude: 0.2514 / 0°15'5"E

OS Eastings: 556225

OS Northings: 185025

OS Grid: TQ562850

Mapcode National: GBR W4.G2V

Mapcode Global: VHHNG.9HSC

Entry Name: High House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1079867

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201628

Location: Havering, London, RM14

County: London

District: Havering

Electoral Ward/Division: Upminster

Built-Up Area: Havering

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Upminster St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Upminster

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/09/2012


TQ 58 NE 13/24
5017
7.1.55


OCKENDON ROAD
Corbets Tey
High House Farmhouse


GV
II*


A tall brick house of circa 1700 with an earlier timber-framed wing of uncertain
date to the east. Two storeys and dormers, colour-washed brick. Five early
C18 sashed windows with flush cased frames and thick glazing bars, each with
18 lights. Fine central doorcase with elaborate shell hood on richly carved
console brackets, wreathed pulvinated frieze; the doorcase now frames an-early
sash window. Wood modillioned eaves cornice. Three flat-topped sashed dormers.
Tall half-hipped roof. Wing of 2 storeys, timber-framed rendered; two 3-light
windows with pointed lights like those of The Old Anchor (qv), lower window
with flat cornice top. In eastern bay projecting 2 storey porch with a window
of 2 pointed lights, over the entrance, segmental headed porch opening, old
2-panel door. Old tile roof. Eastern return of main block with simple door,
having a C18 hood on brackets. Rear of house somewhat similar to front,
main block with central doorway with flat hood on carved brackets. Five sash
windows but no dormers.
Virtually complete original interior, fully panelled to ground and first floor
(bolection moulded panelling to rear rooms at both levels). Rich cornices throughout.
Panelled powder rooms survive between front and rear rooms at both levels and beneath stairs to ground floor. Bolection moulded chimney pieces survive to first floor.
Front rooms at all levels with corner fireplaces. Original staircase with cut strings
and pairs of barleysugar twist balusters to each tread. Rococo plasterwork ceiling to
ground floor front room. A remarkable survival of fine quality.

Listing NGR: TQ5622585025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.