This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5856 / 51°35'8"N
Longitude: 0.2101 / 0°12'36"E
OS Eastings: 553212
OS Northings: 189728
OS Grid: TQ532897
Mapcode National: GBR TC.PNS
Mapcode Global: VHHN7.LDFV
Entry Name: The Royal Liberty School
Listing Date: 14 September 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079885
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201665
Location: Havering, London, RM2
Electoral Ward/Division: Squirrel's Heath
Built-Up Area: Havering
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Gidea Park St Michael and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
UPPER BRENTWOOD ROAD
The Royal Liberty School
TQ 5289/5389 4/2
1768/9 with late C19 additions. Formerly known as Hare Hall. Mansion designed
by James Paine for J A Wallinger. Ashlar faced main block joined by colonnades
to 2 storey pavilions. Rusticated ground floor with 4 square sashes, semi-circular
headed niches at either end and central entrance with modern door and semi-circular
Tuscan porch of 1896. One-three-one bays. Projecting centre with four 3/4
columns.of an Adamesque Ionic order supporting a pediment with coats of arms
and swags; coupled pilasters at each end of the front. First floor has tall
semi-circular headed window with lower round-headed niches on either side.
Outer bays with tall straight headed sashes, with balustrade below moulded
string course. Reeded string above first floor. Attic storey with small
oblong sashes, entablature, cornice and shallow pitched slate roof. Plain
return elevations of 3 bays with rusticated ground floor. Flanking colonnades
originally single storey, now heightened; rectangular pavilions of 3 bays
and 2 storeys with pyramidal slate roofs, right hand pavilion retains original
Rear elevation of red brick with moulded stone cornice and pedimented centre;
3 sashes with gauged plum brick arches. Two lower floors obscured by later
2 storey additions. Large central Tuscan porch. Many of the additions by
W Seth Smith circa 1896.
Interior much altered, but top-lit oval staircase survives, also some panelling and
chimney pieces in first floor rooms.
Listing NGR: TQ5321289728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings