This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5875 / 51°35'15"N
Longitude: -0.0728 / 0°4'21"W
OS Eastings: 533613
OS Northings: 189391
OS Grid: TQ336893
Mapcode National: GBR H9.QB6
Mapcode Global: VHGQM.PCDB
Entry Name: Former Tottenham Public Baths
Listing Date: 9 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079912
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201534
Location: Haringey, London, N15
Electoral Ward/Division: Tottenham Green
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Tottenham
Church of England Diocese: London
TOWN HALL APPROACH ROAD
TQ 3389 26/285 Former Tottenham Public
Public baths, now community hall and public baths. Built 1905 by A S Taylor and
R Jemmett. English bond red brick with Portland stone bands and dressings; hipped
Welsh slate roofs; brick stacks with moulded stone caps. Edwardian Baroque style.
3 storeys. 2:3:2 fenestration with taller central block brought forward. Central
block has ground floor of ashlar with rusticated Tuscan pilasters and semi-circular
arches with prominent keystones, framing central window flanked by original
half-glazed double doors to left and mid C20 double doors to right set in panelled
reveals. 9-pane sashes and mid C20 door (to right) on ground floor are set in
square-headed rusticated architrave. First-floor 12-pane sashes set in eared
architraves beneath pulvinated friezes with cornices to outer bays and pediments
to centre; 9-pane second-floor sashes set in eared architraves. Modillioned cornice,
with open pediment over central bay which has semi-circular arched window with
prominent keystone. Original rainwater heads with modillioned cornices and ball
pendants. The central moulded string course is continued as a string course beneath
the parapets of the two outer blocks, which have rusticated segmental arch over
half-glazed double doors to left and open pediment set over coping above 9-pane sash
to right. Louvred ventilator and glazed strip lights to pool roof; boiler house
chimney to rear. Interior: offices to front of two pools, one now converted into
a community.hall. One of 3 municipal buildings, originally interlinked by iron
gateways, built by A S Taylor and R Jemmett for Tottenham Borough Council. (The
Builder, April 14, 1904).
Listing NGR: TQ3361389391
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings