History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Starting Gate Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bounds Green, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5983 / 51°35'53"N

Longitude: -0.1197 / 0°7'10"W

OS Eastings: 530331

OS Northings: 190498

OS Grid: TQ303904

Mapcode National: GBR FL.Y8S

Mapcode Global: VHGQL.W323

Entry Name: The Starting Gate Public House

Listing Date: 14 October 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1079914

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201538

Location: Haringey, London, N22

County: London

District: Haringey

Electoral Ward/Division: Bounds Green

Built-Up Area: Haringey

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Michael Wood Green

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Wood Green

Listing Text

TQ 3090 STATION ROAD

800-1/14/10003 The Starting Gate P H

II

Public House on a corner site. Built 1875 (the same year as the
opening of Alexandra Palace) as the "Palace Cafe"; a public house by
1896; refitted internally 1899 by Richard Dickenson of-St John Street,
Adelphi. Yellow stock brick with red brick dressings. Public House
frontage with paired pink granite pilasters on a black granite plinth.
6 windows, 1 Window to chamfered angle and 2 windows to St Michael's
Street. 3 storeys and cellars. Each street with a depressed arch
entrance to recessed doorway with double-panelled and part-glazed
doors flanked by panelled and engraved glass screens. Windows have
round-arched glazing and top panels of geometric pattern. Fascia with
cornice. Upper floors have rusticated brick strips at angles and bays.
1st floor 2-pane sashes brick architraved with keystones and timber
open pediments. 2nd floor sashes with gauged brick heads and
continuous brick dentil cornice sill band. similar cornice above to
coped parapet. To left a lower 2-storey, 3-window extension with late
C19 shopfront and central pedimented chimney breast rising through
upper floors. Roundel on chimney breast dated 1875. Interior has cast
iron columns with capitals and many original features including
screens with engraved glass, part of a snob screen, chimney pieces and
an overmantle, lincrusta decoration and a series of framed panels
containing water-colour paintings, mostly pastoral views but one of
Alexandra Palace. Originally known as the Alexandra Palace Hotel, it
became the Alexandra Palace and Railway Hotel when the Great Eastern
Railway station was opened in 1906 and in 1958, when a racecourse was
opened at the bottom of the southern slopes, the Starting Gate.


Listing NGR: TQ3033190498

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.