This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4575 / 51°27'27"N
Longitude: 0.0038 / 0°0'13"E
OS Eastings: 539310
OS Northings: 175077
OS Grid: TQ393750
Mapcode National: GBR L2.ZKH
Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.0MVJ
Entry Name: Pentland House (Now Goldsmiths College Hostel)
Listing Date: 30 August 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1079969
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203390
Location: Lewisham, London, SE13
Electoral Ward/Division: Lee Green
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Lee The Good Shepherd with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
OLD ROAD SE13
4424 Pentland House
TQ 3975 15/L67 30.8.54.
Built between 1691 and 1699, on land bought by John Smith from the
widow of Christopher Boone whose house stood just to the North.
Later additions, Main house of 2 storeys, attic and basement, 5
windows. High pitched. double span roof, renewed in machine tile,
with 3 flat dormers. Now stuccoed, with modified entablature and
coved eaves cornice. lst floor bard. Moulded architraves to replaced sash
windows. l-storey left entrance link, with Doric porch, to set back, mid C19
addition of 2 storeys, 4 windows. Stucco, with slated roof of moderate pitched
[Other extensions are C20 and not included.] Cl9 glass covered way on
cast iron posts, from porch to street gate. Inside, panelled hall and
staircase with solid string and replaced balusters. Square newel posts
have carved finials with great heads of flowers and fruit, imported
(some say from Boone's house, where Grinling Gibbons was employed in
carving). One long fully panelled ground floor room. Plaster ceiling
of landing has raised border with mistletoe pattern. Ceiling of lst
floor library has raised border of fruit and flowers, rounded at ends,
with leaf and flower panels in spandrels Some exposed timbers and
old fioorboards in attic. House belonged in C18 to Mathew Smith, Major
of the Tower of London; and in early Cl9 to Admiral Sir George Martin
who served under Nelson.
Lee Public Library, Walls and Gate Piers and Pentland House and Walls
form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ3930075076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings