This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4597 / 51°27'34"N
Longitude: 0.0021 / 0°0'7"E
OS Eastings: 539188
OS Northings: 175310
OS Grid: TQ391753
Mapcode National: GBR L2.R6K
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.ZKGW
Entry Name: Merchant Taylor's Almshouses
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203229
Location: Lewisham, London, SE13
Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Lee St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
BRANDRAM ROAD SE13
4424 (East Side )
Merchant Taylor's Almshouses
TQ 3975 15/L14
1826 with additions. Symmetrical south-facing group of shallow U-shape.
2 storeys. Main block of 7 3-bay double houses and side blocks of 4.
Pedimented 3-bay centre and ends. Cresting with arms of Guild over
pediment; and clock face in tympanum. Wood cupola on ridge above.
Moderately low pitched slated roof. Greyish yellow brick. Parapet
front with stone cornice. Pilasters support entablature at centre and
ends. Stone first floor band. Moulded architraves to casement windows
with glazing bars and to 6-panel double doors. Blank windows over doors.
Inscription over main door. "The Merchant Taylor's Almshouses, built
AD 1826. Master, Tho. Bulcock Burbidge Esq," with names of 4 wardens.
Round arched link between North and West blocks has stone impost blocks,
keystone and coping with central ball finial.
Another block of 2 similar double houses to south-east.
Merchant Taylor's Almshouses and Gate and Walls form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ3918775310
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings