This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.543 / 51°32'34"N
Longitude: -0.4735 / 0°28'24"W
OS Eastings: 505958
OS Northings: 183779
OS Grid: TQ059837
Mapcode National: GBR 14.K98
Mapcode Global: VHFT4.RH20
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202907
Location: Hillingdon, London, UB10
Electoral Ward/Division: Uxbridge South
Built-Up Area: Hillingdon
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Uxbridge St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/09/2012
TQ 0583 21/307
Church of St Andrew,
Parish church of West Hillingdon. 1864-6 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Red and grey brick with stone dressings. Five-bay nave and aisles, chancel with side chapel under broad south-east tower and broach spire, north-east vestry added 1870s. South porch. Steep tiled roofs. The church is in the Decorated style with some plate tracery in tower glazing. Three light east window, three lancets to window, the aisle windows paired lancets. No clerestorey, but two dormers added by George Jack in 1927. Organ in north-west corner from Christ Church, Blackfriars, rebuilt 1898 and moved in the 1920s. Font designed by Scott and moved to present position in 1924. Reredos by Farmer and Brindley. Chancel screen designed 1872 by Sir G Scott, executed perhaps by John Oldrid Scott, with painted scenes. Upper part 1925 by George Jack. Excellent stained glass included east window by Clayton and Bell; west windows by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake; south aisle includes an Annunciation by James Powell and Sons; a Nativity and 'Christ preaching to the Elders' by Clayton and Bell; 'Christ healing the Lame Man' and'Baptism of Christ' by Jones and Willis. The chancel murals are by Alfred Hemmings, 1892, when the floor was tiled and the altar replaced. Pulpit 1927. Side altar with angels on screen; benches.
Listing NGR: TQ0595883779
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings