This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4887 / 51°29'19"N
Longitude: -0.2906 / 0°17'26"W
OS Eastings: 518779
OS Northings: 178029
OS Grid: TQ187780
Mapcode National: GBR 7Y.WZH
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.XV73
Entry Name: Great Engine House, Kew Bridge Pumping House
Listing Date: 21 May 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202609
Location: Hounslow, London, TW8
Electoral Ward/Division: Brentford
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Brentford St Paul
Church of England Diocese: London
In the entry for:-
KEW BRIDGE ROAD, BRENTFORD
16/194A Great Engine House, Kew Bridge
The description shall be amended to read:-
Engine house. 1845-6 and 1869-70; for the Grand Junction Water Works Company.
Roman cement. Rectangular plan. 3 storeys, 2 x 2 bays, the eastern half being
added 1869-70. Round-headed windows with glazing bars in 3-storey, round-headed,
shallow recesses with archivolts linked by moulded impost band. Bold cornice. Flat
roof. On east side, entrance on left has steps with decorative cast-iron balustrade
up to board double door below fanlight. Attached compression cylinders. Interior:
magnificent contemporary beam pumping engines filling the 3 storeys of the building,
one by Harvey and Company of Hayle, Cornwall, 1869; the other of 1846 by Sandy Carne
and Vivian of Copperhous Foundry, Hale; immense cast-iron Doric columns provide
support for the beam axle, and the cylinders also are fluted. Two cast-iron
galleries, at different levels. Roof is timber lined.
KEW BRIDGE ROAD, BRENTFORD
Great Engine House
TQ 1878 16/194A
Circa 1840. 3 storeys. Roman cement. 2 windows each side. Rectangular
not square, plan with windows all round. Round headed windows with glazing
bars in 3 storey round headed shallow recesses; archivolt band. Bold cornice
flat roof. Interior magnificent mid-nineteenth century beam pumping engines
filling the 3 storeys of the building, one by Harvey and Company of Hayle,
Cornwall, 1869 and the other of 1846 by Sandy Carne and Vivian of Copperhouse
Foundry, Hayle. The engines are preserved but are not in use.
Listing NGR: TQ1877978029
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings