This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4814 / 51°28'53"N
Longitude: -0.1119 / 0°6'42"W
OS Eastings: 531206
OS Northings: 177520
OS Grid: TQ312775
Mapcode National: GBR MR.13
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.01P5
Entry Name: Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204334
Location: Lambeth, London, SE11
Electoral Ward/Division: Oval
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Kennington St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
KENNINGTON PARK ROAD SE11
1. (east side)
Church of St Mark
TQ 3177 8/240 19.10.51
1822-24 built by D R Roper to the design of A B Clayton. Greek revival church
of sandstone with Portland stone tetrastyle Doric porch in antis, up 8 steps.
Above the pediment a square tower bearing octagonal drum and open round Ionic
stage with cupola; the whole decorated with acroteria. Single entrance, under
small window, to narthex. Church splays out beyond to hold aisles. Five-bay
returns with segment-headed windows on each floor. Pilaster bay divisions support
entablature. Side entrances to narthex; and crypt entrances further east. Projecting
centre at east with large window. Inside shows gallery on Doric columns round
3 sides. Aisles and galleries walled off in reconstruction after war damage;
but screen of 2 tall piers of Ionic columns before east window remains. Central
glass dome. C17 pulpit from St Michael, Wood Street.
Listing NGR: TQ3120677520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings