This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4674 / 51°28'2"N
Longitude: -0.129 / 0°7'44"W
OS Eastings: 530059
OS Northings: 175926
OS Grid: TQ300759
Mapcode National: GBR HX.65
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.QC5Y
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080479
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204171
Location: Lambeth, London, SW9
Electoral Ward/Division: Larkhall
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clapham Christ Church with St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
CLAPHAM ROAD SW9
1. (west side)
Church of St John the
TQ 3075 17/282 14.7.55
1842 by C C Nelson. Rectangular classical church of one tall storey with hexastyle
Ionic portico and pediment over entablature, both enriched with egg and dart
moulding. Three entrances, the central very tall in moulded architrave with
paterae border and console bracketed cornice. Entablature continues around
5-window returns with cill band and stone plinth, greyish brick walls. Three
plain windows in eared, moulded architraves at east end, and vestry extension.
Undercroft below chancel. This church was associated with the evangelical "Clapham
Sect" of which William Wilberforce was the most famous member.
Listing NGR: TQ3005975926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings