This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4607 / 51°27'38"N
Longitude: -0.1165 / 0°6'59"W
OS Eastings: 530945
OS Northings: 175210
OS Grid: TQ309752
Mapcode National: GBR LZ.0J
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.XKS2
Entry Name: Lambeth Town Hall
Listing Date: 27 March 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080534
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204011
Location: Lambeth, London, SW2
Electoral Ward/Division: Brixton Hill
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Brixton St Matthew with St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
BRIXTON HILL SW2 (west side)
Lambeth Town Hall
Town Hall. 1905-8 by Septimus Warwick and H Austen Hall, raised and extended 1935-8 by Whinney, Son and Austen Hall, job architect ER Silver. Red brick with Portland stone dressings in modified Baroque style. L-shaped plan abutting the angle between Brixton Hill and Acre Lane, with a rounded corner over which rises tall square, brick tower with wide stone quoins and heavy cornice on square brackets. Stage above has clock faces under open pediments with sculptured figures, representing Justice, Science, Art and Literature, at angles. Top stage has scrolled angle buttresses supporting crown finial on plinth.
Main body of building of red brick banded in stone and with high stone plinth and heavy modillioned cornice with balustraded parapet. Windows in stone architraves with elaborate keystones, those on ground floor round arched. Rusticated stone angle section with Ionic Order through slightly set back first floor. Three windows in rebated bay at either side of doorway under coat of arms with supporting figures and crown crest. This part raised a storey in 1935-8. Western extension in simplified style, with firstly a symmetrical five-bay composition of three set-back tripartite casements - those to the ground floor rich round arches and those to the first and second floors with keystones - between projecting single-range wings with stone plinths and quoins, that to the east incorporating a door with large fanlight and moulded keystone. All with second floor band, bolection-moulded cornice and parapet. Finally a five-bay range with ground floor of Portland stone, double height metal casements, and projecting metal canopy over double doors leading to assembly hall, culminating in corner tower with aediculed openings, pediment and chimney. Blind rear elevation particularly handsome, relieved by a single figure of 'youth' by Denis Dunlop.
Interior reached through long, narrow entrance hall flanked by stairs to council chambers, relieved with plaques to Violet Szabo, the 'Windrush' and other important local residents and events, also memorials to the fallen of both World Wars. Plaque of a wheelwright's shop by Tinworth. Former rates hall, now meeting room at rear reached off vaulted corridors. From entrance hall, staircases to either side with metal balustrades, brass rails and marble dado panels lead to civic suite. This survives little altered, with original cornices and panelled interlinking doors to committee rooms. Council chamber in rear angle (over rates hall) is a double-height rectangular space with public gallery over, original fixed horseshoe seating and deep coved ceiling. Original light fittings. Assembly hall with original raised panelling and stage, reached also by separate entrance which has marble-lined vestibule, trabeated ceiling, paybox and original glass light fittings.
Listing NGR: TQ3094575210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings