History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Michelin House the Main Part Facing the Fulham Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Brompton & Hans Town, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4933 / 51°29'35"N

Longitude: -0.1688 / 0°10'7"W

OS Eastings: 527224

OS Northings: 178735

OS Grid: TQ272787

Mapcode National: GBR 6L.9W

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.1Q4M

Entry Name: Michelin House the Main Part Facing the Fulham Road

Listing Date: 15 April 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1080656

English Heritage Legacy ID: 203794

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3

County: London

District: Kensington and Chelsea

London Borough Ward: Brompton & Hans Town

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Luke and Christ Church Chelsea

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2778 NW FULHAM ROAD SW3
48/23
15.4.69
No 81
(Michelin House the main
part facing the
Fulham Road)

II

1905, extended. 1910. Architect, J Espinasse of Clermont-Ferrand. Two storeys,
concrete and brick construction faced with glazed terra-cotta. Three bay front, the
ground floor divided by ornamental piers, with ornamental ironwork below lintels.
Ornamental cornice over. Large round arched central window with shaped gable over with
tyre models as kneelers. Windows to right and left with rectangular heads beneath
ornamental panels decorated with wheels and foliage. Small octagonal corner turrets to
full height but with some red brick. Left hand return of 9 bays, right hand of 5, with
further, simpler windows behind. Return sides continued in similar style. Segmental
and square headed windows on ground floor. First floor windows flat headed with words
"Michelin Tyre Company Limited Bibendum" over. Ends with windows between piers;
ornamental frieze between storeys. Open segmental pediments at intervals with inset
faience tyres. The material is Bermentofts Marmo facing. Series of pictorial tile
panels on the side elevations (ground floor) and inside the drive-in by Gilardoni Fils
of Paris. The panels represent the racing successes of cars with Michelin tyres
between 1900 and 1908, and in the fitting bay Edward VII and Prince George in their
Michelin type fitted car.


Listing NGR: TQ2722478735

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.