This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4934 / 51°29'36"N
Longitude: -0.1876 / 0°11'15"W
OS Eastings: 525919
OS Northings: 178720
OS Grid: TQ259787
Mapcode National: GBR 2L.2T
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.PQPJ
Entry Name: Church of St Jude
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080661
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203708
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW5
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Courtfield
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Brompton St Mary with St Peter and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2578 NE COLLINGHAM ROAD, SW5
249/45/5 Church of St Jude
Church. 1870, tower and spire added 1879. By George and Henry Godwin. Kentish ragstone jumper-work with stone dressings. Steeply pitched gabled roofs with bands of pale and dark grey slates; chancel and sanctuary roofs decrease in height. Shingled spire. Gothic style.
PLAN AND EXTERIOR: 7-bay nave over 30 metres in length, chancel and sanctuary, double semi-transepts, SW tower. Geometric tracery windows, those to east end and transepts of 6 lights. Most angles are buttressed. Tower with paired, louvered belfry openings and a clock face to each facade.
INTERIOR: Scissor-braced king-post roof White-wash currently covers polychrome brickwork and sheet copper faced capitals. The nave arcade is carried on thin iron columns with Transitional style iron capitals. For two-thirds of the nave's length its aisles broaden into transepts accommodating galleries at first floor level, supported on an outer row of iron colunms. A further deep gallery across the west end. Shallow chancel has murals of fictive arcading with lilies and passion flowers flanking 2 harp-playing angels on a gold background; northern wall without angels but has the organ. Shallow sanctuary with blue painted roof having gold stars; murals of 1879-80 by Edward Frampton have fictive arcading with angels, prophets, Apostles and elders on a gold background flanking a reredos of alabaster and marble, carved by Thomas Earp and inset with mosaics by Alviati and Burke, the whole representing the Adoration of the Lamb. Coloured marble and alabaster pulpit, on short columns, with carved figures of St Jude, St Peter, St Paul and St Augustine, also by Frampton and Earp, 1881. Original, numbered pews. Minton tiles to the chancel floor, quarry tiles, diagonally set to the nave.
HISTORY: St Jude's was built at a boom time for church building in Kensington and coincided with the first great clashes over ritual. It was a "Low" church built on the initiative of the Revd J A Aston in anticipation of the development of the northern part of the Gunter estates, and financed by rich evangelical businessman John Derby Allcroft, a wealthy glove manufacturer. Seating was designed to accommodate some 1,600 people. It is an unusual example of design attempting to reconcile orthodox ecclesiological ideas about the visible separation of nave, aisles and chancel with the seating traditions of evangelical worship.
Listing NGR: TQ2591978720
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings