History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2, Campden Hill Square, W8

A Grade II Listed Building in Campden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5078 / 51°30'27"N

Longitude: -0.2016 / 0°12'5"W

OS Eastings: 524903

OS Northings: 180291

OS Grid: TQ249802

Mapcode National: GBR C8.MTZ

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.GC8H

Entry Name: 2, Campden Hill Square, W8

Listing Date: 7 November 1984

Last Amended: 29 October 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1080742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 203602

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, W8

County: London

District: Kensington and Chelsea

Electoral Ward/Division: Campden

Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Campden Hill

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Kensington

Listing Text

TQ 2480 SE CAMPDEN HILL SQUARE, W8
(east side)

249/24/84 No.2

GV 7/11/84 II

Terrace house, c1826-8; George Edward Valintine architect, as part of the Camp den Hill Square estate developed by Joshua Flesher Hanson. Stock brick over rendered basement, end stacks, roof obscured by parapets.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement. Double-fronted, 4-bay house, the central narrow 2 bays set back, those to either side in square bays with rounded comers. Central bays with narrow windows having margin-light surrounds. The right-hand of these has the door, reached up steps, with 6-panelled door in pilastered surround with rectangular toplight decorated with oval tracery. Band to first floor. Wrought-iron plant boxes with anthemion decoration. INTERIOR: not inspected.
No.2 is a mirror image (minus the portico) of No.52 on the opposite side of the square. Hanson was himself the first occupant of No.2, between 1828 and 1831. Formerly listed in error as No.8 Camp den Hill Square.
(Source: Survey of London: vol XXXVII: 1973: 87-93).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.