This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4971 / 51°29'49"N
Longitude: -0.1702 / 0°10'12"W
OS Eastings: 527115
OS Northings: 179156
OS Grid: TQ271791
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.ZJ
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.0MDQ
Entry Name: The Oratory House (Block Parallel to Brompton Road, Brompton Oratory)
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203547
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW7
District: Kensington and Chelsea
London Borough Ward: Brompton & Hans Town
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity with St Paul, Onslow Sq and St Augustine, Sth Kensington
Church of England Diocese: London
In the entry for:
TQ 2779 SW BROMPTON ROAD SW3
The Oratory House
(block parallel to Brompton
Road, Brompton Oratory)
London headquarters, private chapel and library of the Oratorian fathers. Main house (north block) and northern part of west wing designed by JJ Scoles, 1853. Southern part of west wing, 1872-3, partially refaced in stone by Leonard Stokes, 1911. Gault brick and stucco, slate roofs.
Italianate style. North block: four storeys, five windows wide, sash windows with margin lights, rustications to ground floor, central entrance. West wing: three storeys, with balustraded parapets. Interior of west wing includes on ground floor the Little Oratory, refitted with stalls apsidal sanctuary, altar and ceiling decoration by J Hungerford Pollen, 1871-2 and with grisaille paintings on walls by Edgar Ritchard with Adrian Brookholding-Jones, 1954; on first floor the
galleried library is chiefly by Scoles. At south end of west wing, St Wilfred's Hall on first floor has Italianate painted decoration.
The Oratory House is connected at the east end to the Brompton Oratory Church(q.v.)
Source: Survey of London, vol. 41, 1983, pp. 50-55
Listing NGR: TQ2711579156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings