This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4044 / 51°24'16"N
Longitude: -0.3404 / 0°20'25"W
OS Eastings: 515536
OS Northings: 168575
OS Grid: TQ155685
Mapcode National: GBR 6G.8VT
Mapcode Global: VHGR8.1YXQ
Entry Name: Barracks
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205388
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, KT8
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampton
Built-Up Area: Esher
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mark, Teddington and St John the Baptist, Hampton Wick
Church of England Diocese: London
5028 HAMPTON COURT
TQ 1568 32/30 2.9.52
Now dwellings offices and stores. Built for William III 1689 to replace earlier foot
barracks constructed under Charles II. West end horse-guards, east end foot-guards,
originally separate buildings linked by 3-bay Sutlery 1700, brown brick, red dressings,
pantile roofs. Footguards 27 windows wide, 2 storeys. Upper windows square headed,
lower segmental. Timber mullion and transom. Casements. Brick band between storeys.
Moulded timber eaves. Horseguards of 17 bays; 2 storeys but slightly taller. Similar
materials, windows and eaves, though windows partly blind for stabling. Tall chimneys
to back wall of both parts.
RCHM "Middlesex" p.46.
Listing NGR: TQ1553668575
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings