This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4443 / 51°26'39"N
Longitude: -0.3141 / 0°18'50"W
OS Eastings: 517262
OS Northings: 173046
OS Grid: TQ172730
Mapcode National: GBR 76.PJ9
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.HYTP
Entry Name: Ham House
Listing Date: 10 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205337
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW10
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Ham, Petersham and Richmond Riverside
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Petersham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
5028 HAM HOUSE
TQ 1773 21/61 10.1.50
1610 and 1672-1675.
Important Jacobean Mansion, 3 storey brick. Originally H-plan. North (river) front
with entrance mainly original. Space between wings on south front built in 1672-1675,
when hipped roof and modillion cornice were substituted for original gables. Full-
height splayed bays were also added to the ends of the wings on the north front, and
niches with lead busts inserted along this front at the first floor. Very fine and
sumptuous unspoilt interior with furniture fittings etc.
Historical Associations. "Cabal Room". Originally built for Sir Thomas VaVasour.
Date 1610 carved on door. Passed to Elizabeth Murray, who became Countess of Dysart
and later Duchess of Launderdale, and who was responsible for the late C17 alterations.
Has since remained in the Dysart family. Approached from Petersham and Ham along fine
avenues of trees through park. Side walls to forecourt decorated with busts in niches.
Listing NGR: TQ1726273046
Other nearby listed buildings