This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.447 / 51°26'49"N
Longitude: -0.3251 / 0°19'30"W
OS Eastings: 516489
OS Northings: 173328
OS Grid: TQ164733
Mapcode National: GBR 76.DR0
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.9WZM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080852
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205285
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW1
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Twickenham Riverside
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary the Virgin Twickenham
Church of England Diocese: London
5028 CHURCH STREET
Church of St Mary
TQ 1673 21/34 2.9.52
Perpendicular west tower, but body of church rebuilt to designs of John James in
Rubblestone tower of 3 stages with corner buttresses, battlemented parapet and
perpendicular tracery. Polygonal staircase turret on south-east corner. Nave and
aisles plum brick with red dressings with rubbed and gauged brickwork. Five-bay nave,
3 centre bays breaking forward under pediment. Giant order pillasters. Two-storey
elevation, with segmental windows below, round-headed above. Portland stone base.
Heavy cornice. Galleried interior supported upon timber fluted Corinthian columns.
Original wooden reredos and metal altar rails. Many good monuments including that
to Francis Parlton d. 1642 to east end of south aisle and that to William Humble
d. 1680. Alexander Pope d. 1744 also buried in the church. Monument to Challoner Ogle
by Rysbrack. Burial place of Pope, Kneller etc.
Listing NGR: TQ1648973328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings