History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mitcham Parish Rooms

A Grade II Listed Building in Cricket Green, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4018 / 51°24'6"N

Longitude: -0.1694 / 0°10'9"W

OS Eastings: 527436

OS Northings: 168569

OS Grid: TQ274685

Mapcode National: GBR DB.HYY

Mapcode Global: VHGRK.01T5

Entry Name: Mitcham Parish Rooms

Listing Date: 25 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1080903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 205109

Location: Merton, London, CR4

County: London

District: Merton

Electoral Ward/Division: Cricket Green

Built-Up Area: Merton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Mitcham St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Mitcham

Listing Text

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON LOWER GREEN WEST, Mitcham
TQ 2768
12/91 Mitcham Parish Rooms
25.2.87
- II

Former Sunday and National Schools. Originally built 1788; clock tower added 1892;
rebuilt mid C19 but reusing C18 clock turret. Yellow brick. Slate low hipped roof
to eaves. Symmetrical composition. Centre of 2 storeys, 1 main bay, flanked by
3-bay 1-storey wings. Central corniced entrance, panelled double doors; flanked
by arched windows. Upper windows square headed. Central corniced inscribed plaque:
Sunday School, Established 1788 National Schools, Established 1812 Rev G D Myers
MA Vicar Henry Hoare Esq, Treasurer'. Further corniced tablet to gable inscribed
'Mitcham Sunday and National Schools'. Small central stuccoed clock tower with
rusticated quoins. Pilastered clock stage and open bellcote with Doric columns
and lead covered ogee cupola topped by feathered terminal. Plaster strips between
bays to wings; segmental headed windows. Small louvres to roof.


Listing NGR: TQ2743668569

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.