This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4285 / 51°25'42"N
Longitude: -0.2105 / 0°12'37"W
OS Eastings: 524502
OS Northings: 171458
OS Grid: TQ245714
Mapcode National: GBR BL.RLJ
Mapcode Global: VHGRB.9CK9
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Last Amended: 2 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205146
Location: Merton, London, SW19
Electoral Ward/Division: Village
Built-Up Area: Merton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Wimbledon
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON ST MARY'S RD, WIMBLEDON,
SW19 (east side)
6/117 Parish Church of
1.6.1949 St Mary
Parish church. Chancel late Medieval, much rebuilt in 1860 by G G Scott.
Cecil chapel to south of chancel of 1626-36; nave rebuilt and enlarged in 1843
by G G Scott and Moffat, in late Gothic revival style. Knapped flint, stone
dressings, tiled pitched roof (steeply to eaves to chancel, low to parapet over
nave). 5-bay aisled nave; low clerestory; 2 bay chancel: south chapel; west
tower and spire, of 1843, 3 stages with crenellated parapet. Buttresses between
bays to nave; pointed aisle windows. Perpendicular tracery. Small square windows
to Cecil chapel, cusped. Compound piers to nave, supporting galleries to north,
south and west. Chancel and nave roofs renewed; 4 part vault to Cecil chapel.
Black marble monument to Sir Edward Cecil, Viscount Wimbledon (d1638), in Cecil
chapel. Various other monuments. Late C19 carved stone pulpit and altar
rail, arts and crafts manner. C19 stone font. Organ to west end. C14 stained
glass to Cecil chapel (figure of St George) and C17 heraldic glass. One south
window with 3 figures designed by Henry Holiday and executed by Morris and Co,
1923. Further window by Morris and Co, 1925.
London 2-South B Cherry and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: TQ2450271458
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings