History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Village, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4292 / 51°25'44"N

Longitude: -0.2109 / 0°12'39"W

OS Eastings: 524472

OS Northings: 171534

OS Grid: TQ244715

Mapcode National: GBR BL.RJ2

Mapcode Global: VHGRB.9BCR

Entry Name: The Old Rectory House

Listing Date: 1 June 1949

Last Amended: 2 September 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1080951

English Heritage Legacy ID: 205026

Location: Merton, London, SW19

County: London

District: Merton

Electoral Ward/Division: Village

Built-Up Area: Merton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Wimbledon

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Wimbledon

Listing Text

LONDON BOROUGHOFI4ERTON CHURCH ROAD, Wimbledon, SW19
TQ 2471
(east side)
6/26 The Old Rectory House
(formerly listed as No 54
1.6.49 (The Old Rectory House))
GV II*

Large detached house, now several dwellings. Circa 1500 with substantial C19
additions. C16 brick partly rendered. Old tiled steeply pitched roof to eaves
to original wing. South west front with original wing of 2 storeys plus dormers,
2 main bays; 1 and 2 storey additions to left and right. Entrance in C19 hipped
roofed porch to left bay of original block. Square headed mullioned windows, stone
dressings, renewed, of 4 lights above entrance, of 1 light to its right and 2 lights
to right. C19 casemented dormers. Leaded lights. To right-hand side, substantial
original stack rises on face of wall. Buttresses to corner and centre of facade.
To left, slightly recessed on original octagonal brick stair turret, later glazed
top stage and cornical roof with weathervane. Further original octagonal stair
turret to rear. Additions in Tudor revival style. Interior contains fine late
C16 or early C17 panelling, much imported; former chapel with painted barrel vaulted
roof with decorative plasterwork.


Listing NGR: TQ2447271534

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.