This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6027 / 51°36'9"N
Longitude: 0.0624 / 0°3'44"E
OS Eastings: 542930
OS Northings: 191332
OS Grid: TQ429913
Mapcode National: GBR N9.NDM
Mapcode Global: VHHMZ.1ZC7
Entry Name: Claybury Hall claybury Hospital
Listing Date: 22 February 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204856
Location: Redbridge, London, IG8
Electoral Ward/Division: Fairlop
Built-Up Area: Redbridge
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Barkingside Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Claybury Hall (Claybury Hospital)
Designed probably by Jesse Gibson for James Hatch. Late C18, possibly 1785,
the date on a fire bell. Two-storeys, gault brick, stone cornice, blocking course
and other details. Bank between storeys. Sash windows, plain reveals. Entrance
front: Six bays, 4 columned Doric porch, round headed doorway with fanlight.
Wing of similar general style and date, with later extensions behind.
Garden, or principal front: 2+2+2 bays; the centre a 2-storey bow with columns
and dentilled cornice to ground floor, 2 steps up. Other ground-floor windows
with fan-fluted heads and cornices. Parapet has a small pediment to each end
of front, and balustrade to centre. Side elevation in similar general style,
central windows with enrichment. A fire escape stair of iron has been built
on this side.
INTERIOR of the house has some good decoration of the period including galleried
staircase of stone with delicate wrought iron balustrade; classical reliefs on
walls. Saloon, in centre of garden front with enriched ceiling, bowed window,
classical trompe-l'oeil paintings in grisaille on canvas as overdoors etc. C19
fireplace. Good door. Former dining room to west has ceiling cornice and sideboard
recess with freestanding full-height painted scagliola columns with Ionic caps.
C19 fireplace. Room at east end, probably library and music room, with cornices
and original white marble fireplaces, one with profile portraits of Homer and
(?) Virgil, and a central plaque bearing relief of a reclining Venus. Some upstairs
rooms have original wood mantelpieces with composition ornament. The original
entrance to the house was through the southern bow, but on the advice of Humphry
Repton it was changed to the north front about 1791.
Listing NGR: TQ4293091332
Other nearby listed buildings