History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hart House

A Grade II Listed Building in Monkhams, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6107 / 51°36'38"N

Longitude: 0.0253 / 0°1'31"E

OS Eastings: 540333

OS Northings: 192150

OS Grid: TQ403921

Mapcode National: GBR LM.522

Mapcode Global: VHHMY.DS73

Entry Name: Hart House

Listing Date: 22 February 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081035

English Heritage Legacy ID: 204830

Location: Redbridge, London, IG8

County: London

District: Redbridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Monkhams

Built-Up Area: Redbridge

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Woodford Wells All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodford Green

Listing Text

HIGH ROAD
1.
5027
(East Side)
Woodford Green
Hart House
TQ 4092 7/5
II
2.
Now a hospital. Early C19, 1816 NCH. Three storeys, stucco, 2+3+2 sash windows,
the centre recessed and with a one storey Ionic 6-columned portico in antis between
the wings. Double bands over ground floor; cornice and blocking course, hipped
slate roof. Garden front with slightly projecting centre crowned by a pediment.
Interior: Entrance hall with small Wyatt-style staircase (iron balusters with
lead enrichment). Painted and gilded cornice; similar cornices elsewhere.
History. The original Hart House, or Harts was built in 1617 by Sir Richard
Handforth Master of the Wardrobe to James I. Arthur Onslow, Speaker of the House
in the first half of the C18, was born here. It later became the property of
the Warner family of whom Richard Warner became a famous naturalist, and who
published "Plantae Woodfordiensis" in 1771.


Listing NGR: TQ4033392150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.