This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2009 / 52°12'3"N
Longitude: -2.1172 / 2°7'1"W
OS Eastings: 392088
OS Northings: 255863
OS Grid: SO920558
Mapcode National: GBR 1G2.ZHC
Mapcode Global: VH92P.8Y34
Entry Name: Barn About 50 Yards South West of Court Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 December 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081268
English Heritage Legacy ID: 147677
Location: Crowle, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR7
Civil Parish: Crowle
Built-Up Area: Crowle (Wychavon)
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Crowle with Bredicot
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 95 NW CROWLE BREDICOT LANE
Barn about 50 yards south-
29.12.52 west of Court Farmhouse
Barn. Medieval [tree-ring dated to 1354-6], re-roofed c1800 with late C19 alterations. Lias lime-stone rubble, some brick replacement walling, plain tiled roof. Seven bays aligned north/south, of which the four southernmost bays are in a very dil-apidated condition. Walls are about 3 feet thick with raking buttresses at main bay divisions and with loopholes in each bay of the three southernmost bays, one in the east elevation and three at the north gable end. The northern end of the east elevation has been partly rebuilt in brick and has had three doors and a loft door inserted. Interior: the roof structure survives over the four northernmost bays, but is very deteriorated at the south end; it has 30 foot span roof trusses, three tiers of trenched purlins and straight wind-braces, 12 per bay (two to each tier of purlins each side); north end truss has two collars with an arch-braced lower collar; two southernmost trusses are both of collar-and-tie-beam type with three vertical struts beneath the lower collar flanked by raking struts to the lowest purl in and a central moulded vertical strut beneath the upper collar; the southernmost truss only survives in part; the second truss from the north end is C19 and has an interrupted tie-beam, an upper collar and raking struts to the two lower purlin tiers. The two northern-most bays have a board ridge. The first and third bays from the north end are floored. There is a lean-to brick extension at the north gable end with a square light. The barn belonged to the medieval manor house situated to the north, of which only the kitchen (qv) remains. The moat surrounding the site of the manor house lies immediately north of the barn. The barn is an important local survival of its type.
Listing NGR: SO9208855863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings