History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bayton, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3562 / 52°21'22"N

Longitude: -2.4548 / 2°27'17"W

OS Eastings: 369123

OS Northings: 273223

OS Grid: SO691732

Mapcode National: GBR BX.SQCH

Mapcode Global: VH84G.D1MK

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 18 April 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081471

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149200

Location: Bayton, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, DY14

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Bayton

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Mamble with Bayton

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bayton

Listing Text

BAYTON CP BAYTON
SO 67 SE

2/7 Church of St Bartholomew

18.4.66

- II*


Parish church. C12, altered C15 and 1817; restored 1905. Part sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings, part, sandstone ashlar; plain tiled roofs,
continuous over nave and chancel with parapet at east end. West tower,
nave with south porch, chancel and north organ chamber. Perpendicular
and Georgian styles. West tower: 1817; two stages separated by a band;
chamfered plinths and diagonal buttresses with offsets at west end;
lower stage has two pointed windows with Y-tracery, one above the other
in the west elevation, and a pointed south door above which is a date
stone with a circular moulding; the belfry stage has pointed single-light
louvred bell-chamber openings; all openings on both stages have moulded
keyblocks and imposts; above the belfry stage is a moulded cornice and
embattled parapet. Nave: walls are C12 with windows replaced c1905;
west end has rectangular lights flanking tower; easternmost windows of
north and south elevations are of 3 lights, the north one has a cambered
head and the south one a 4-centred head; both retain their C12 jambs;
both elevations have a 2-light square-headed westernmost window which has
a hood mould with returns. South porch: 1905; timber-framed and gabled
on sandstone base; chamfered pointed archway flanked by ogee-arched open-
ings with brattished tie-beam above; four square panels each side with
upper cusped ogee-arched traceried detail and rendered infill. South
doorway is C12 and has a round-arched shafted order with lozenge detail
on the face and soffit, a similar rear arch and a plain tympanum [originally
believed to have been figured (Pevsner)]. Chancel: walls are C12 at
west end, remainder rebuilt 1905; angled buttresses with offsets at west
end; 5-light east window with loophole above; 2-light square-headed windows
each having a hood mould with returns at eastern end of side elevations;
the plain jambs of a blocked window is visible in the south-west wall and
beneath is a mid-C17 memorial with a Latin inscription; the gabled organ
chamber projects from the north-west wall; it has a cusped lancet at its
north gable end and on its east side steps lead down to a basement door
which has a cambered head. Interior: nave roof is C15 and has cambered
tie-beams, braced collars and two tiers of paired swept wind-braces.
Chancel has a wagon roof of 1905. Chancel screen also 1905 and has a
wide central pointed archway with narrow traceried openings each side and
also small traceried openings in the spandrels. The roof truss above has
close-set struts above and below the collar. The chancel has a pointed
archway into the organ chamber, sedilia and the choir stalls incorporate
early C17 linenfold panelling with fishscale detail similar to that at
Shakenhurst nearby (qv). The font is a fine mid-C12 example of circular
plan, the bowl elaborately carved with beaded scroll and cable mouldings
and the stem enriched with formal foliage in low relief. The pulpit
contains some C17 panelling with frieze detail. A hatchment is displayed
on the west wall. This medieval church retains much of its original wall-
ing, its C15 nave roof and a fine Norman font. (VCH iv, p 240; BOE, p 75).


Listing NGR: SO6912373223

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.