This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0863 / 52°5'10"N
Longitude: -1.8978 / 1°53'52"W
OS Eastings: 407096
OS Northings: 243114
OS Grid: SP070431
Mapcode National: GBR 3LL.10Y
Mapcode Global: VHB0V.2T1H
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 30 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148612
Location: Badsey, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR11
Civil Parish: Badsey
Built-Up Area: Badsey
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Badsey with Aldington
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
BADSEY CP HIGH STREET (east side)
SP 0643 - SP 0743
14/10 Church of St James
Parish church. C12, partly rebuilt late C13, extended early C14 and mid-C15,
restored 1885. West tower C15, nave C12, chancel C13, north transept C14,
south aisle and porch C19. West tower: three stages, with diagonal buttresses,
crenellated parapet with pinnacles, string course below with gargolyes, belfry
stage has windows of two cinquefoiled lights under 2-centred heads in hollow
chamfered reveals, labels with head stops; clock face to first stage; ground
stage has a window of four ogee trefoiled lights under a 2-centred head in
deep reveal with hollow chamfers. South aisle: C19 addition of three bays
with porch to left of stone. South door is C14, re-set from south wall of
nave, with 2-centred head and contemporary door with massive strap hinges.
The two windows to left are of two and three trefoiled lights under segmental
pointed heads. East window of two cinquefoil lights under 2-centred head.
Nave: north wall largely rebuilt with C12 north door which has a flat rope-
moulded lintel, plain tympanum, and zig-zag decoration to semi-circular head,
to right of this a small C12 semi-circular headed window. North transept:
south window of two trefoil lights under a 2-centred head. Chancel: diagonal
buttresses, two bays with a pair of trefoiled lancets to left, to right a
window of two ogee trefoil lights under 2-centred head with a priest's door
between. East window of three trefoiled lights under a segmental head.
Interior: C19 arcade of four bays with octagonal piers and 2-centred arches.
Tower arch is 2-centred and of two hollow chamfered orders. C19 chancel arch
2-centred and of two orders, the inner order with respond shafts. Arch to
north transept of two orders with engaged respond shafts to inner order.
Roofs: nave has restored C14 common rafter roof with arched braced collars;
chancel similar, but arch-braces and ashlar pieces curved to form arch.
Fittings: chancel: memorial to Richard Hobby, died 1617, has two kneelers
facing each other below entablature supported on Corinthian columns. Early
C18 altar rail and table. Pulpit of linen fold panelling (possibly of 1529)
in nave. On north wall of nave a memorial to William Jarret, died 1685, in
form of cartouche surmounted by urn finial. Font has an early C14 octagonal
stem and C19 bowl. (VCH, 2, pp 356-358; BoE, p 74).
Listing NGR: SP0709643114
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings