This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0361 / 52°2'10"N
Longitude: -2.0614 / 2°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 395883
OS Northings: 237528
OS Grid: SO958375
Mapcode National: GBR 2KM.7ND
Mapcode Global: VHB14.722X
Entry Name: Northland House
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148567
Location: Overbury, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Overbury
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
OVERBURY CP -
SO 9437 - 9537
9/114 Northland House
House. C17, refronted mid- to late C18 with alterations and extensions of
1902 by Ernest Newton for Richard Biddulph Martin. Part limestone ashlar,
part rubble and plain tiled roof with gable-end parapets and two large rear
brick stacks with three square shafts. Three storeys with band at first
floor level and chamfered plinth. Three bays with chamfered end quoins.
Windows in outer bays of ground and first floors have 12-pane sashes and
the second floor windows are blind. The upper floors of the central bay
have a long round-headed stair window which has a raised moulding above the
arched head on imposts and a multi-paned sash window with traceried head.
The central entrance has a moulded flat canopy on console brackets, a door
with six raised panels and a traceried fanlight. Adjoining the right side
elevation and projecting to the front of the main building is a c1902 addition.
Ashlar with hipped plain tiled roof and right end brick stack. Two storeys
with band at first floor level and two bays with chamfered end quoins. Windows
are all 12-pane sashes; the first floor windows of the front elevation and the
ground floor window in the angle with the main house are blind. To the rear
of the main house are two parallel wings of the original C17 house. The roofs
of both wings have been raised, probably c1902. Interior: the main C18 part
retains its limestone flags and its dog-leg staircase which has turned balusters
to the first floor and c1902 decorative openwork panels replacing the former
balustrading to the second floor [cf the staircase at Sunny Bank Cottage (qv)
and the gates and The Red House and flanking gateways (qv)]. (Newton, W G:
The Life and Work of Ernest Newton, London 1925).
Listing NGR: SO9588737531
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings