History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bredon Springs

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton under Hill, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0375 / 52°2'15"N

Longitude: -2.0104 / 2°0'37"W

OS Eastings: 399382

OS Northings: 237682

OS Grid: SO993376

Mapcode National: GBR 2KP.8JM

Mapcode Global: VHB15.31JV

Entry Name: Bredon Springs

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081630

English Heritage Legacy ID: 148485

Location: Ashton under Hill, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR11

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Ashton under Hill

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Beckford

Listing Text

ASHTON UNDER HILL CP PARIS
SO 9837 - 9937
11/33 Bredon Springs
- II

House, formerly divided into two dwellings. Circa 1735, extended 1781 with mid-
C19 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble and plain tiled roots with large
brick stack to rear of main ridge. L-plan; original single-bay part aligned
north-west/south-east with large external rubble chimney adjoining its north-
east side. This chimney was altered and enclosed by a 2 1/2-bay wing (two bays
plus chimney-bay) added in 1781 which has a through-passage in its central
bay. Two storeys. South-east front elevation: main range (1781) has two
3-light C19 casements on both floors and, in the chimney bay, a 2-light case-
ment on both floors; all ground floor windows have cambered heads. The main
entrance in the central bay has a curved canopy on ornate shaped brackets and
a door with four raised and fielded panels. There is a rebuilt brick stack to
the right front of the roof ridge. The gable end of the original part to the
left has a ground floor 3-light casement with a cambered head and a 4-light
first floor casement. On the south-west side of the original part is a door
with a moulded architrave and door above inscribed "w C July 28 1735". C19
addition to rear, also C20 single-storey addition at north-east end. Interior:
timber-framed bay divisions survive. Stop-chamfered main ceiling beams. Large
back-to-back fireplaces each with two bread ovens. The 1781 part has a floor
of limestone flags and an elm winder staircase.


Listing NGR: SO9938237682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.