History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Black and White Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Beckford, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0323 / 52°1'56"N

Longitude: -2.0233 / 2°1'23"W

OS Eastings: 398500

OS Northings: 237097

OS Grid: SO985370

Mapcode National: GBR 2KN.K9P

Mapcode Global: VHB14.W57W

Entry Name: Black and White Cottage

Listing Date: 30 July 1959

Last Amended: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081633

English Heritage Legacy ID: 148488

Location: Beckford, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Beckford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Beckford

Listing Text

BECKFORD CP GRAFTON
SO 9635 - 9735
11/36 12/13 Black and White Cottage
(formerly listed as cottage
30-7-59 occupied by Mrs Grinnill)
GV II

House. Circa 1600 with late C19 and mid-C20 alterations and additions.
Part coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, part timber-framed with
rendered and brick infill; plain tiled roofs. Hall and intersecting cross-
wing; hall part of two bays aligned east/west with single-bay cross-wing
intersecting to south-west. In the angle between the west end of the hall
range and the cross-wing is a large external ashlar chimney with two large
offsets to east side and rebuilt capping. There is also a chimney to the
north side of the west hall bay with a tall ashlar stack and rebuilt brick
capping. Single storey and attic. Framing: hall part has two rows of square
panels at first floor level. The east gable end is jettied and the panels
above the jetty and the roof truss with its decorative concave lozenge detail
are a late C19 restoration. The north gable end of the cross-wing has a
collar and tie-beam truss with large raking struts. East front elevation:
the east gable end of the hall part has a ground floor 3-light chamfered
mullioned window with a hoodmould and a single-light first floor C20 case-
ment. There is a ledged and battened door, possibly of C17 date with a
moulded architrave to the left of the mullioned window. The south side of
the hall in the angle with the cross-wing has a ground floor chamfered mullioned
window of two lights and a first floor 3-light casement with a plank weathering.
A C20 lean-to adjoins the south end of the cross-wing and it has a half-glazed
door in its east side which forms the present main entrance. There is also a
C19 lean-to outshut on the north side of the hall part which has a ledged and
battened door with a cambered head in its east end.


Listing NGR: SO9850037097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.