History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge at Main Entrance to Downton Castle (That Part in Downton Civil Parish)

A Grade II Listed Building in Downton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3708 / 52°22'14"N

Longitude: -2.8161 / 2°48'57"W

OS Eastings: 344533

OS Northings: 275060

OS Grid: SO445750

Mapcode National: GBR BF.RRCZ

Mapcode Global: VH76M.4NLX

Entry Name: Bridge at Main Entrance to Downton Castle (That Part in Downton Civil Parish)

Listing Date: 11 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081759

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150196

Location: Downton, County of Herefordshire, SY8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Downton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Downton

Listing Text

DOWNTON CP
SO 47 NW
SO 44537507
1/17 Bridge at main entrance
to Downton Castle
(that part in Downton CP)
GV II
Accommodation bridge over Stone Brook. Mid-C19. Dressed coursed sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings. Central tall narrow archway with two-centred
head of two chamfered orders. The archway is flanked by bartizan-style
angled projections with embattled parapets which are corbelled out from the
wall surface just beneath the level of the arched head and are continued to
the main parapet coping. There are smaller similarly arched flood outlets
and also several irregularly sized and spaced slit openings in the bridge
walls. The plain parapet has a string course at its base, a ridged coping
and is splayed at the north end. The south ends terminate in octagonal piers
with pyramidal capping. A short wall about two yards long adjoins the outer
side of both piers at right angles to the bridge. The bridge was built as
part of the major alterations to Downton Castle (qv) carried out between 1860
and 1870 when a new entrance was built on the north-west side of the building.
The estate was originally approached from the south with the driveway cross-
ing the River Teme at Castle Bridge (qv): (Also see under Leintwardine CP).


Listing NGR: SO4453375060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.