History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Downton Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Downton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3554 / 52°21'19"N

Longitude: -2.8431 / 2°50'35"W

OS Eastings: 342672

OS Northings: 273370

OS Grid: SO426733

Mapcode National: GBR BD.SQQR

Mapcode Global: VH76S.N2T5

Entry Name: Old Downton Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081765

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150202

Location: Downton, County of Herefordshire, SY8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Downton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Downton

Listing Text

DOWNTON CP DOWNTON ON THE ROCK
SO 47 SW
3/23 Old Downton Farmhouse
GV II
Farmhouse. C17 with mid-C19 and circa 1930 alterations and additions.
Part timber-framed with brick infill on rubble base, part brick, roughcast,
hipped slate roof with brick ridge stacks. L-plan with wings extending to
north and west and large external rubble chimney with tiled offsets and brick
stack on east side; main south elevation was refronted circa 1930. Two storeys,
basement and attic with half-dormers. Framing: visible at rear of building.
Four rows of panels from sill to wall-plate with long straight braces across
lower corners. Main south front: three bays; left bay projects slightly and
there is a pilaster buttress between the central and right bay. There is a
basement 3-light casement in the right bay, a bay window with a lean-to roof
and a 12-pane sash window on the ground floor, a 6-pane sash, a 3-light and
a 2-light casement on the first floor and a central gabled half-dormer with
a 2-light casement. Central entrance has a moulded flat canopy on brackets
and a half-glazed door. A C19 wing adjoins the west side of the north wing
at the rear. Interior has one room lined with Cl7 panelling and one room
lined with early C18 panelling. Also the Cl7 staircase is recorded to have
survived and has moulded strings and square newels; the balusters have been
removed. (RCHM, Herefs, Vol III, p 45);


Listing NGR: SO4267273370

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.